The introduction of the new education system 2-6-3-3-3 resulted in the launch of the National Education Management Information System (NEMIS). This guide will explain what NEMIS is and how to register and login to the system.
What is NEMIS?
NEMIS is a data management system that the Ministry of Education in Kenya manages. One of its objectives is to capture the information of educational institutions.
The system also enables educational agencies to share the data collected. As a result, the process of making decisions and running administrative services is seamless.
The NEMIS portal also analyses and tracks the performance mobility of learners and teachers to allow efficient use of resources.
The stakeholders that can access the NEMIS portal include:
- The Ministry of Education
- Kenya Primary School Head Teachers Association (KEPSHA)
- The National Treasury
- Kenya Secondary School Heads Association (KSSHA)
- Kenya Private Schools Association (KPSA)
- The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC)
- The Teacher’s Service Commission (TSC)
- Parents or guardians
- ICT professionals
- Development partners
That means that the portal is not accessible to just anyone.
How to Register on NEMIS Portal
You can register an account on the NEMIS portal if you are from the following organisations:
- Ministry of Education
- Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD)
- Centre for Mathematics, Science and Technology Education in Africa (CEMASTEA)
- Kenya Education Management Institute (KEMI)
- The Information and Communication Technology Authority (ICTA)
To register, follow these steps:
- Visit the NEMIS website.
- Click “Register.”
- Next, fill in the required fields and click “Save.”
- You will get a message saying that you have successfully registered your account. Also, NEMIS will ask you to wait for your supervisor to activate your account.
Note that school heads or managers cannot register on the NEMIS portal. To obtain access, they have to consult Sub-County Directors of Education (SCDE) or County Directors of Education (CDE).
NEMIS Portal Login
To login into NEMIS, use this process:
- Go to the website.
- Enter the username and password and click “Log In.”
Once you are in, you can enter various data under the different modules. These modules include institution, staff, learners, and finance. Below are the data types organisations can enter under each module.
In this module, you can:
- Register your institution.
- Type in all the infrastructure in the school. That entails equipment and other fixed assets.
- The co-curricular activities in the school. Also, include the respective achievements of the school in this area.
- The teaching and learning materials available.
- Emergency reporting.
This module records the following:
- The Unique Personal Identification (UPI) Number of the learner. To get this number, you need the birth certificate or I.D of the student.
- Register your learners in this section.
- If a student moves to a different school, the organisation should record the change under student mobility.
- The performance details.
- Areas the student has shown talent.
You should enter the data below:
- Fee structures.
- Income returns of the school.
- Development fund. This comprises of the projects the government has funded.
- Expenditure returns including what the school has achieved through development funds.
An organisation should enter the following details:
- Transfer of teachers.
- The subjects each teacher handles.
- Study areas. These comprise the areas the teacher received training.
- The responsibilities the school has given each teacher.
How to Register Continuing Students to the NEMIS Portal
If a learner missed the 2018 registration process, you can register them on the portal using the following steps:
- Visit the NEMIS portal.
- Enter your username and password and log in.
- Click “Learner” from the tab and select “View My Learners.”
- Choose the class or form of the student. A list of learners will appear.
- Click “Add New Student” at the top left side of the list.
- Type in the biodata of the learner in the fields provided. The data required includes the name, the birth certificate entry number, nationality, gender, and special conditions if any.
- Next, hit “Save Basic Details.”
- The student will receive a UPI Number.
- Click the contact details and special needs tabs and enter the accurate information.
Both students in primary, secondary, and tertiary institutions and their parents can use the UPI to track academic performance.
If you want to update a student’s details, go to the learners tab. Then, select the class and locate their name on the list and click “View.”
To contact NEMIS, you can use email, phone, postal address, or visit them at their offices. The email addresses are firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Alternatively, you can call +254-020-3318581 or 0800722962. The postal address is:
Ministry of Education
P.O. Box 30040-00100
Jogoo House B, Harambee Avenue